The MSIT practicum provides an opportunity for students to apply the knowledge and skills learned in their classes to solve a real-world problem in information and communication technology offered by an industry client. In collaboration with a faculty mentor, each team of students works with an industry client to understand the problem to be addressed and develop a strategy to create a solution in one semester. A plan and schedule is developed, tasks are assigned, and progress is monitored through regular meetings. The solution is presented to the industry client who joins the faculty supervisor in evaluating and grading the practicum project.
- Working as a team member
- Engaging with a client
- Developing and accessing alternative solutions
- Developing a work plan based on client requests and assessments of project constraints
- Delivering a quality product on time
After completing this course, students should be able to:
- Acquire and assess requirements with a client
- Make effective trade-offs in a project to realize a product that satisfies the client’s objectives
- Define roles and tasks within a team and carry out a team project effectively
- Make a project schedule and adapt throughout the project to deal with unforeseen contingencies
Grades are determined by faculty and client assessments of a set of deliverables.
2nd year MSIT standing
Faculty: Tim X Brown